Wednesday, 18 March 2015

The internet is going viral over Mr Lee Kuan Yew's condition (and shame on you sick people!)

Even though I'm away, my friends and family are still updating me on Mr Lee Kuan Yew's situation. It's sad to hear that his condition is only worsening.
At times, we might not have liked him very much.
We might have criticized him or his party and even made jokes about them.

Whatever it was, I think we can agree that we're very thankful for where Singapore is today.

On the internet, there are still some sick people creating hoaxes about his condition and this is NOT FUNNY.
No matter how much you hate him (even if you have a personal feud, please deal with it privately), have you ever watched an old men die?

My grandfather passed away last year.
We weren't close and I've probably never been his favourite grandchild. 
Even so, watching him during the last moments was difficult.

We tried talking to him and he couldn't really respond. His consciousness was dying. 
It probably started from his vision... then his hearing... 
I passed my driving license while he was sick so he never got to ride in my car. 
When we visited, I asked my dad to tell him that I've passed and we showed him the license and put it in his hands. He couldn't really say much but I guess he sort of smiled. When we were taking back the license, he held on to it so tight. Maybe that was all that he had left.

Over the days, his breathing only got weaker.
On the last day, breathing became so difficult, he was just gasping for air.
Every once in a while, he would miss a beat and you would have thought he's gone.

I didn't get to see him at the very last moment and I cannot imagine how that last breath would have been like.

It's been a year now and even though we weren't close, still it eats away a part of you.
I can only hope that Mr Lee is in a comfortable state, whatever it might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment