Saturday, 15 November 2014

Working for a Japanese Company: Stereotype or Truth?

I have been working in a Japanese company for a bit over 3 years now.
I began in the job with all my naivety about work and stereotypes of a Japanese firm.
Over the years, I've come to learn how wrong I have been.
Here's the guide for each stereotype. -- it exists
-- you better do it
/-- half there
-- doesn't matter

Stereotypes of being in a Japanese firm
1. Punctuality /
If work starts at 9am, being in at 9:00:01 still means you'll be charged.
*DEH* My company isn't that bad. I've heard of people receiving warning letters at the beginning due to long lunch etc. but as more locals join, they bring in their own (bad?) habits, well, the Japanese gave in.

BUT, if there is a meeting with the heads, be there 5-10 minutes early. Personally, I think this is basic courtesy, if there is a big meeting, don't make everyone wait for you.

Punctuality, half true but not performed at a psychotic level :)

2. Work culture/practices
Almost all the HQ staff have mentioned,"don't worry about the Japanese way. You don't have to follow. We don't want to bring it over."
This will come up to a whole list of our own stereotypes so let's break it down.

a) Morning warm up exercise & company cheer on the rooftop 
*DEH* This is non-existent in my company. I heard it still exists for manual labour work places and the reason is a consideration of work safety so totally approved. It's just in their meticulous nature.

b) Bowing 
The locals don't have to do it but the Japanese cannot stop doing it. My office building has other Japanese offices. Sometimes the lift opens and some guy comes in, the rest would line up outside, thanking him again and again. Both sides will bow 90 degrees until the door closes.

While this is the usual image of Japanese etiquette, I did notice another thing that they do.
This is very useful when you need to know if the new, strange face in your office is a big shot.

The visitor would walk in and suddenly ALL the Japanese staff would do a standing ovation.
Kidding, no applause but imagine a mini Kallang wave as the visitor walks in.
I think the idea is, once you spot him (so you are possibly within his visual range too), stand up to show that you are acknowledging his presence. If he goes to you, smile, shake hands, talk, whatever.
If not, just stay attentive and look amiable.

Seriously, not all of them are nice, sweet people. Some are really yaya-papayas so when you see them standing up at the fastest human reaction time, it's funny!

c) Overtime 
Most of the bosses are pretty nice on this. They don't expect you to sacrifice your personal time so I really appreciated those who appreciates you've been working hard during work hours and leaving on time.

BUT IF YOU DO, it is HIGHLY appreciated. I mean, the one way to get your promotion faster?
Stay back more!!!! They love it, even if you're just idling, they think you're really hardworking.
Then again, to be fair, applies to many other cultures/nationalities too.

d) Seniority /
They DO make an effort to listen to you but are you able to change anything... ?
Still, I stand by my own principle that if things in this world will be less complicated if people just pluck some courage to speak up.
Still, I say, if you want to survive, looking at how the other people did it, it is better to say "yes, boss".
*other people=everyone in general

e) Great welfare + High pay ?
This is unfair for me to comment because I don't have everyone's figures.
I would say whatever I had was average, alright, acceptable.
Advice is, don't start comparing yourself to an expat because you are not. Also local staff are not HQ staff so don't expect to have what they have back in Japan.

f) Drinking 
Japanese are known for their beer, sake and now, WHISKY~
It is true that the Japanese drink a lot and they love drinking.
Rule of thumb: begin with beer.
and they'd often say,"food really loads up on your stomach. beer can be easily excreted."
so if there is remaining food and remaining alcohol on the table, they'd take the liquid.

I must say they are really amazing people, both the men and the women, they can take a lot of alcohol, last till really late into the night (going to several rounds), and still turn up at work the next day as if nothing happened.

It is really as if nothing happened. At dinner, they become really chatty and friendly people. They opened up. The next day, they're back to serious office workers and whatever jokes you've shared that you would still like to continue laughing about, not gonna happen.
*with testimony of many people.

3. Career Progression 
In Japan, most companies still perform lifetime employment so everyone gets promoted and a secured retirement pension.
If one has to work in the same company their whole life, really a lot safer if they don't piss off anyone. You might just meet them again, they might just be your next boss' buddy.

With reference to this, I would just like to commemorate on the work culture. 
Everyone is generally friendly and willing to teach. Apart from their own culture, they get a lot of rotations so holding on to your hardwork/expertise isn't going to help anyone. Of course, you can be an irresponsible asshole and not pass down your duties properly.

Back to career progression, even though many have said age and gender (and nationality?) doesn't matter...
a) better you are a men
b) better you are old/experienced (even in an unrelated field)
c) better to have a higher degree than others (even in an unrelated field)

You see... doesn't sound like a good deal for young ladies BUT there is saving grace.
God gave us stuff, it's only up to you whether you'd want to use it.

The other tactics will be to use the hard or the soft way to kick away your seniors.
Because, once you get to be the next senior in line, it's your chance.
General note about the world: there isn't such a thing as "to win fair and square".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't think all Japanese companies work that way or that all Japanese think that way which we foreigners often penalise them to. All the above really depends on who you are working with/for.
It can apply to any company (except the morning exercises & bowing maybe).
There have been some really nice people and some really smart ones that I really like, and of course, the opposite of those.
*this post was not intended to ridicule any person or culture.

Have something that I didn't mention? Let me know!


1 comment: