Monday, 9 June 2014

文部科学省 Monbukagakushou Scholarship for Research Student (Singapore version)

Have you dreamt of living in Japan?
Do you also enjoy studying/research work?
It's the time of the year again to apply for the Monbushou scholarship!


Trivia: 
Before, the ministry was known as Monbushou but they have been renamed Monbukagakushou (文部科学省). They offer the following scholarships for:
undergraduates (full scholarship),
specialized training college students,
research students (full scholarship), 
teacher training students, and
exchange students (for Japanese studies majors). まじいいな~

I have applied twice.
The first time, I received notice to take the exams while I was overseas = I booked a holiday when I should have been all-ready in Singapore? SHOOT ME IN THE HEAD PLS. Anyway, I had to withdraw. *NOTE: Check the schedule that will be posted on the Japan embassy's website!!!

The second time I got through all the way to the interview round but I didn't perform well during my interview due to some personal reasons. Then again, if I had REALLY REALLY wanted it, that wouldn't have happened. Point being, make sure you know this is what you want. FOCUS, PEOPLE!

The myth goes that if you can get a recommendation from a professor, you're going to pass. 
But no, since a few years ago, many universities have blocked off such contacts from potential students and only allow direct communication with the prof AFTER you have passed the primary screening and received a recommendation from the ministry. 

Still, I would recommend you know what it is that you want to do and start preparing for research ideas in the area of your choice. Also, they would totally recommend you apply for what you have done for your undergraduate paper or something related to your work (if you come with work experience).

Things you’ll need to prepare:
1. Main application form
2. One application attachment form
3. Your study plan
4. Recommendation from a previous professor & employer (if currently employed)
5. Graduation cert + transcript
6. 4 photographs (4.5cm x 3.5cm)
7. Abstract of your thesis
Health certification is only required upon their notification so just leave that out. Anyway, I’m only speaking for the application in Singapore.
Pick 3 professors whom you most likely will want to work with, according to similar research interest. As for the most difficult part, THE STUDY PLAN.
a) What you last studied
b) The research you want to do in Japan
c) Details of your research plan

So if you get it, as a research student you get 143k JPY. when you move on to masters, its 144k JPY (as of 2013 update). Registration usually starts in April/May~July. Seriously, double check the schedule for upcoming tests and interviews. Good luck!

P.S. You may arrange a session to meet up with the consultant in the Japan embassy if you are still unsure or have other questions.

For forms & more info, visit the Japan embassy website.

No comments:

Post a Comment